As we unite in the fight against racial injustice and police brutality, we have to recognize that the way we communicate about these issues has to change as well. Often microaggressions and covert racism is unintentional regardless of your attention, so get ready to accept, understand, and learn from your error.
- I’ve said things without realizing that they’re racist
- Thanks for correcting me, I didn’t realize that
- I hadn’t thought of it that. I understand now
- I should do some more research before I argue this point
- I was wrong about that, and I have changed my mind
- How can I show up for you moving forward?
- It sounds like you’re saying _ _ _ Is that accurate?
- I understand that I will never understand. However, I stand
- In your opinion, what is the best-case scenario?
- It seems as though you feel this way _ _ _. Is that correct?
Sources: @i_weigh, @attnwhitpeople